Tuesday 4 September 2012

OK I have a Kayak

We arrived back Monday night in the dark with the Kayak stuffed in the car, about 3/4 mile from MR. No choice  but to leave it where it was for the night
 First thing this morning we moved the car down nearer the river
 The nearest point being, very conveniently, right next to a recycling skip for dry plastic and cardboard so out with the knife and the unpacking
Seat and back rest attached (there have to be some concessions for ladies of a certain age, plus some)
 and I was off
 paddling back home
 to MR like a good 'un - peace of cake this and quite a good little work out against the wind and the current...........but.........how do you get out?
 preferably not like this..... my bum's got big since I last saw it. Dismounting technique definitely requires improvement. I was so busy laughing (saving on Tenna Lady's as my bum was so wet no one would know the difference) that the Kayak has disappeared from view!!!
I met a man in a lock later on today who said, "why were you on your hands and knees in hysterics when we passed this morning?" . "Mmmm I replied, it's a bit of a long story and only a shallow lock"

Loads of pics and more story to tell but no more time as we've re-joined NB Yarwood and are off for something to eat - I've worked up a bit of an appetite

7 comments:

  1. Jill
    The picture of you getting out of the kayak is, arguably one of your more photogenic poses, can't wait to hear how you get Baxter in and out without a capsize

    Beardy Chas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think my absolutely MOST photogenic pose was my face when you presented me with my own, personal, BBQ-ed mouse to eat. Love to Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you Jill, that BBQ has gone down in the 'unfogettable moments of Upton' history, and you fell for it hook, line and sinker!!!

      lol

      Beardy Chas

      Delete
    2. I soooo.. did. Can you remember why the set up started, as it deserves a blog post in it's own right. I can't tell the story unless I can tell why/how you set me up in the first place - priceless xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you Paul, we have certainly been having a lot of laughs and have met some great people, but the majority of boaters are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jill

    The tale of the BBQ mouse as I remember it.

    Some years ago while you and Graham were staying at Upton in your caravan, Daisy came back very proudly with a dead mouse and dropped it at your feet which I promptly picked up, and jokingly said to you as it was such a large mouse it would BBQ very nicely. Later that day as usual we had a communial BBQ with about 12 people in attendance, and after everyone sat down I presented you with a hot mouse size object wrapped in tin foil straight off the BBQ and told you it was the mouse that Daisy killed earlier that day, which I had cooked as a special treat for you, The look of shock and horror on your face was something to behold,(by the way, I had forwarned the other guests on what was going to happen), I thought I had overdone the dramatics, and you were about to pass out!!, anyway I was able to keep a straight face and convince you I knew what I was doing, and it would be very tasty once unwrapped, with great trepidation you unwrapped the 'mouse' only to find a very nicely cooked baby new potato.

    Under the circumstances you took it very well, and (after a time) were able to see the funny side of the jape.

    Lots of Love

    Beardy Chas

    PS good to see you back blogging again, I really enjoy reading the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've pasted this as a blog in it's own right for a rainy day. What STILL amazes me is that I was prepared to make at least a token gesture of eating a bit!!!

      Delete