Monday 1 October 2012

Isolation and preparation

On our own again with not a soul to be seen. Sunday afternoon and the intrepid weekend cruisers who were bold enough to come out this weekend have all gone home to their Marinas - if we had one I'd probably join them tonight.
This is us moored above in desperately windy weather  and splendid isolation - the flood banks are very unforgiving in strong winds. I, literally, dragged Baxter 'over the top' today but then  found a nice new circular walk on the other side - once on soft grass and with trees to break the prevailing wind we had a good time. 
You can see the waves breaking against MR
Continuing with the refurb. G put the finishing touches to the fire - copper behind and fire blacked, he really has done a lovely job - so good, in fact, that I think I now trust him to refurb my galley. We even stacked some of the wood we split yesterday underneath to make a new home for our spiders to keep it dry and convenient. Hopefully there will be a grand opening and lighting ceremony on Saturday.
Meanwhile I turned my attention to the things that might fail the BSC (Boat Safety Certificate - 4 yearly MOT). MR is nearly 8 years old and The Inspector Calls on Thursday. The knobs on our hob are sticking and not springing back so, if the flame blew out, the gas wouldn't stop - this would fail us. So I prised the knobs off and decontaminated them with boiling water and detergent, mucked out the sockety bits (technical term) underneath and set to with vaseline and WD40 - jobs a good'un.

Then (and now my halo really starts to glow) settled down to write a complicated letter of complaint to the CEO of the Nationwide - a Building Society with which we have previously had an excellent relationship. Like nearly all the things that I put off, it really wasn't that bad once I'd started although it took me 2 hours. Don't expect it will do me much good, but at least I'll know I've tried - it's all down to that old chestnut that we're not on the Electoral Role at the address they have for us and that a third party is. Well they would be - it's their house.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jill
    Good luck with the Nationwide - I've got an ongoing complaint with them re our buildings insurance. First you go to a 'first resolution team' who don't resolve anything, then to a 'customer experience team'. Bit worrying that they deal with complaints but neither dept has the name 'complaint' in it...
    Abby (Joe's daughter) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stove looks really smart. I do like the log storage underneath. What a ggod idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The storage was G's idea and it does provide extra space just by raising the fire.All I need now is a chimney! Glad you are safe

      Delete
  3. Hi Abby, lovely to hear from you. I've cut out the normal channels and found the name and e-mail address of the Manager of the appropriate dept. I also found an e-mail address for the Chief Exec and e-mailed him a copy. I had a response today and was told I'd have an answer tomorrow whether or not it'll be the answer I want.....but at least they are communicating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check you out going straight to the top, then again we are mere plebs aren't we!? (as an MP may once have said)
      Abby x

      Delete
    2. Sometimes it's the only way - and it's worked! xx

      Delete
  4. Stove's looking good. You'll be glad of that now.
    Well done G!

    ReplyDelete