Monday 25 January 2010

Home Grown

Last year I planted grow bags of rocket & mixed salad leaves with considerable success & satisfaction. So, this year, I would like to start earlier & grow a wider variety of produce but, as is always the case on a narrowboat, space is limited so how do I prioritise? I have (I think) devised a cunning plan by choosing produce that comes within two or more of the following criteria:

* high usage
* high cost
* poor availability
* short life

This leaves me with a short list of rocket, mixed salad, basil, coriander, spring onions, baby leeks, chillies, runner beans and beansprouts. Now I have to do the research to see which are practical. In the meantime, I can start indoors with the beansprouts - easy peasy. Remember growing mustard & cress on blotting paper as a kid? Spread mung beans on a plate covered with damp kitchen roll and leave it in a warm place, adding warm water as required to keep damp.

Easy peasy my a**e!!!


Closer inspection (sorry about the focus) shows that 95% grew in on themselves and remained foetal.


Of the 5% that grew upright, they grew roots and leaves before the stems sprouted properly. This is my third and, sadly, most successful attempt. I hope this isn't an omen for the coming growing season

No comments:

Post a Comment