Saturday 25 August 2012

The tusk remains in situ!!

So Thursday saw us having a farewell drink on Avalon - they were heading back to Ely on Friday and I was heading off for a dental appointment before we headed off down The Old West River towards St Ives. We were joined by James from NB Lucky Duck who pointed out that Amy was on the bow seat of a passing eight - this led G and Kevin to start a, "Go Amy" chant which embarrassed the hell out of her, pissed off her Cox and dropped James in the mire as he was meant to be getting stuff from B & Q (would that be something to do with a job list?) - boys will be boys some blokes just don't grow up!
 So, in the front then, my Debbie and Kevin's beautiful Airedale Ted (I would soooo love to steal him but you can't stuff a giant dog up your jumper - well not without someone noticing) . Half of Debbie to the left, G next to her, Kevin to the right and poor James (who probably slept on the floor) facing.
 This rowing stuff goes on all the time and does quite a lot of banging into you

So Friday - tusk removal day - dawned bright and clear and G and I set off for an hour plus walk to Brookfields - 20 mins early and they were 40 minutes late, but we'd hung around for 6 weeks for the appointment so it didn't much matter. I have to admit to being very concerned about this appointment - I know where the end of the tooth is so I had a good idea where the root might be!!!!
Unfortunately, the dentist hadn't made the situation very clear in his referral  to Brookfields - just sending a very bleary x-ray through. The surgeon did her own 180 degree x-ray and said that there was no way she was going to remove it as it was on my cheek bone and sinuses so it was an Addenbrooks job under general anesthetic - which was what I'd kind of thought, but then I thought perhaps I was being a wimp.
Hmmmm...perhaps I'll just try and ignore it for a while.

So, returning to MR about 5 ish, we thought we'd just leave Cambridge and pulled pins. Then we remembered that we needed to get water and pump out. This Gronigen something came past us (one of you will know?)
 minus a roof - I thought it might make a good project for Kevin now Avalon is finished (yeah, I know no boat is ever 'finished')

 So we then remembered that we needed to pull up against the high wall for Tescos and B&Q - it was nearly dark when we moored up at Clayhithe at 9 ish behind.....yeah Avalon. I'm just a glutton for those farewell kisses and cuddles. So we trundled off this morning and then called it a day on the GOBA moorings just outside Earith due to a lot of this...
 ....and this
 accompanied by a lot of furniture re-arranging going on upstairs
 Very little of this GOBA mooring is available to anyone other than the young and the brave as cattle have decimated the down river end and jumping off your boat is very likely to lead to a broken ankle
When we arrived they were here
but now we're surrounded!!


No comments:

Post a Comment